Cardinal Hayes (graduated 1963), Cathedral College, and St. Joseph’s Seminary, M. Div.
During his time in the Seminary he taught Religious Education at Ascension Parish in Manhattan.
- He also taught at St. Barnabas, Holy Rosary, and St. Athanasius parishes in the Bronx.
- He worked as an orderly at St. Vincent’s hospitals in Manhattan and Harrison.
- Prior to ordination he was sent to Ponce, Puerto Rico to learn Spanish.
- He did an internship in Gualey, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
- May 29, 1971: Ordained by Terrence Cardinal Cooke.
- He returned to Spanish studies and had his first parish experience in the Diocese of Buga, Colombia.
- Returning to the U.S. he was assigned Assistant Pastor in St. Catherine of Genoa, Washington Heights.
- During this time he was elected twice to Community School Board 6.
- Appointed to Community Planning Board 9, served as chairman for one year.
- Served on the Priest Senate of the Archdiocese and was secretary for a few years.
- Was appointed by Cardinal Cooke in 1975 to be the Director of Youth Ministry in the Catholic Youth Organization (CYO).
- Subsequently he became the Executive Director of the CYO while still living in St. Catherine of Genoa parish.
- In 1983 was appointed by Cardinal Cooke to be the Pastor of St. Catherine of Genoa. Served as Pastor for 16 years.
- In 1999 was appointed by John Cardinal O’Connor to be the Pastor of Our Lady of Angels parish in the Bronx.
- Served on the Inter-Parish Finance Commission of the Archdiocese.
- Area/Diocesan Chaplain to the St. Vincent de Paul Society for many years.
- Was member of the Executive Board of the Association of Catholic Schools.
- In 2002 was appointed by Edward Cardinal Egan to be the Regional Vicar of the North West Bronx.
- On February 13, 2006 was appointed by Edward Cardinal Egan to be the Rector of Saint Patrick’s Cathedral.
- On March 4, 2006 Pope Benedict XVI named him Chaplain to His Holiness, with the title of Reverend Monsignor.
- Knight Commander of the Holy Sepulchre
- Conventional Chaplain to the Order of Malta
- Former Archdiocesan Moderator of the Patrons of the Arts in the Vatican Museums.
- Ufficiale of the Order of St. Maurice and St. Lazarus
- Member of the Personnel Board of Archdiocese of New York.
- Member of the Advisory Board for “Making All Things New”
- Member of the Archdiocesan Hispanic Council
- Descendant of McLoughlin Family of Mayo, IrelandAWARDS AND HONORS:
Awards and Honors:
- Cardinal Hayes High School-Member of Hall of Fame
- Good Shepherd Award (2013) Catechetical Office, Archdiocese of NY
- Faithful Servant Award (2014) St. Patrick’s College, Maynooth, Ireland